Saturday, April 20, 2013

3 months

Hi there, almost 3 months ago i moved to Auckland, and I can hardly believe it was just 90 days ago.

It's been a tough time recently. 
Last weekend my mom who lives in Altay in the middle of Russia lost her dog. This dog, Lisa, was a true member of the family and she has lived with us for nearly 20 years. Now mom is officially there alone, and it was literally a physical pain to hear her crying on the phone. 
You know, time goes on and parents are not getting younger. Everyday you spend away trying to settle down in a foreign country or saving for a house to bring old ones to visit, your parents are one day closer to the other big day.
Mom feels her life has passed away and she doesn't have much to wait for. Her only concern is me being happy and us living near by. Here I am, as far away as only possible.

The second commitment is my dog Chiquita whom I had to leave in Finland. If I knew from the very beginning she'd have to be away for that long, I would never move to NZ by myself at first place. 
For now Chiquita lives with my good friend, but she has already gotten health problems because of the stress and all medical treatments she had to go through. It will take another month-two to bring her to NZ.

As you see, immigration is not going to be an easy way if you have commitments or strong emotional bonds  at home. I would really question the decision twice.
Speaking about me, there were times when i was going to bed thinking tomorrow i would buy a ticket back for sure, but life is not that easy, of course. In Auckland, and I don't regret it after all. Still a chance to beat them all.

On the good side, I've found a job, and I start on Monday. 
As most best things in life, it came all of sudden. They called me early on Friday and invited for an interview. I had other things to do, the place to see was far away, and it was about to rain, but well, a chance  was still a chance.
The company is a small family run business in selling and hiring machines and equipment like excavators. It doesn't happen often but I felt like being a part of the family from the very first minute. The best part is that people in the company are very open-minded and flexible. I'll be independent and I will have a lot of things to do and to learn. I've got my first task to do, the "homework": to learn driving rules and pass a test on Monday. Guys promised to get me driving in one month already, can you imagine.
Oh yes, my job has nothing to do with polymers, it's an administrative role with a touch of accounting and marketing - ideal case for me for now.
Polymers are here to stay though, and i have a plan for them too.

A few days ago I was coming back from another interview, got lost and had to use a train. Trains are much older here than in Finland, but for some reason I like them a lot, and coming home from the station I thought it would be cool to work somewhere I'd have to go by train. The dream came true :)

Another dream that almost came true was a hammock. I fell for the idea in Dusseldorf a few years ago when we saw it in a shop in the City center.






 And look what I've found on the Long Bay beach a few weeks ago


The cat on the following picture lives somewhere in my neighborhood. It's famous for being extremely fluffy, arrogant and photogenic. 





My first picture from the well-known around Mount Eden, and you can see the crater behind me.


Closing of the open air movies season in Viaduct. We watched old "Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory "- major like.


On Sunday we went to pick up mushrooms. Yuki was there with us!


A few mushrooms I saw mostly looked like that one.


Basically, we found no mushrooms but met locals who let us ride horses instead. I was not complaining.




A Finnish touch in Auckland: korvapuusteja


A rainy day in Auckland, it's a middle of autumn already, oh boy.


On the way to my job-to-be I felt a familiar smell. It was so nice, I couldn't help but follow it. Guess what, guys were building composite walls. You can definitely state I miss Arcada, say hi to Rene from me.


 Superwomen don't cry.

P.s. Pasha, your taking-pictures-skills need an urgent improvement!

Bu,

Lena

11 comments:

  1. Hey...

    Loved your pics and don't need to be worry...everything will be fine...alright...stay happy :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's life :)
      I write those posts just to show future-comers what they might experience here

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    It is great to read about your experiences in Auckland as a new migrant. I'm migrating there too. Maybe in two or three month. I and many other cyber friends comment and share our experiences about NZ immigration process on a weblog with the following address:
    http://2migrators.blogsky.com
    Some of us have just started their process and some others are in NZ right now. We hope to create a great environment to share our problems and solutions online. Although we are All Iranians and are writing in our language but you'll be welcome there. Hope to hear from you soon, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali,

      Thank you. Your blog looks nice even though I don't understand a thing written there, of course :)
      Best of luck to you moving here! Are you coming through Silver Fern?

      Delete
  3. So nice to see pictures of you Lena :)

    It's okay to feel sad at times especially you're away from home, but you will overcome it and everything will make perfect sense soon.

    Today, was the silver fern application and I didn't make it to the quota, I was in the payment form and when I clicked on the next page, quota is full.. But of course they say “If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters - 204 if you're in Japan.” I will try student visa. :)

    Cheers,
    Bien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bien,

      Sad to hear you didn't make it through this year :( it's just a pure luck. Means there will be a better way for you.
      And student visa is definitely an option. Keep me updated and fingers crossed for you!

      Lena

      Delete
  4. So.. IS it really hard to find job when you arrive with Silver Fern..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vijay,

      it depends so much on what you are doing. I should think of writing a separate post about it. If you have any ideas or thought to share, you are SO welcome :))

      Delete
  5. Hi Elena

    I have queries related to New Zealand immigration process.

    I am 34 yrs female.I am residing in Dubai-UAE working with insurance industry for more than 6 years. I have approx 3-4 ys banking & insurance experience in India as well. I have done my becholar's degree in Science in 2002. I was working with banking & insurance industries in India. Then we moved to Dubai in 2008 March. I got jobs in Insurance industry. I have total 8+yrs experience in Banking & Insurance industry. My sister is Permanent resident of New Zealand. I am also thinking to move to NZ. Everybody suggesti should join some course in Business for level 7 to match my experience & qualification. Now i want to come on student visa. I want to know once i will complete my 1 yr course, what is the procedure to apply for residence visa and what will be the future growth in my case. Also i want to know how difficult to get residence visa for my case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have queries related to New Zealand immigration process.

    I am 34 yrs female.I am residing in Dubai-UAE working with insurance industry for more than 6 years. I have approx 3-4 ys banking & insurance experience in India as well. I have done my becholar's degree in Science in 2002. I was working with banking & insurance industries in India. Then we moved to Dubai in 2008 March. I got jobs in Insurance industry. I have total 8+yrs experience in Banking & Insurance industry. My sister is Permanent resident of New Zealand. I am also thinking to move to NZ. Everybody suggesti should join some course in Business for level 7 to match my experience & qualification. Now i want to come on student visa. I want to know once i will complete my 1 yr course, what is the procedure to apply for residence visa and what will be the future growth in my case. Also i want to know how difficult to get residence visa for my case.

    ReplyDelete

  7. I really appreciate that you wrote this article and shared some really good information on this specific topic. excellent post

    ReplyDelete